Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Day 26 of my captivity

I was talking to a hotel employee the other day and she said most of the staff lives together in villas outside of town. Room and board are provided to staff along with bus transportation back and forth to work. She said that the villas were nice and new and they shared a room with one other person. She was 24 years old, divorced with a 6 year old son back in the Philippines. She is here working to support him. Her situation is sad but at least she has a nice place to work and live. I have heard that some of the government employees live in work camps with several dozen guys to one room and no air conditioning. Also I read that the taxi drivers share apartment rooms with six or eight guys. From the article I read most of them were friends and come here together. From what I was told, most hotel staff get paid between 900 and 1300 dhs ($250. -$350.) per month, plus room and board.

Taxi’s come in three colors, black, grey and white. Black taxi’s are the upper end cars and start the meter at 15 dhs ($4.) They park at all of the hotels, and they don't stop along the road to pick people up. The white taxi starts at 2 dhs, and the grey at 3 dhs. They give you 5 minutes of free 'sitting in traffic time' before the meter starts charging for sitting. But they all drive the same though, CRAZY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment