Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Day 42 of my captivity

It is still hot and I am so over Ramadan. I am so tired of not being able to go to the store until 8:00pm, and not being able to drink a bottle of water in the afternoon walking down the street. I saw a poor Emirate lady today, all dressed in black from head to toe. She was really hot, trying to get a taxi and I thought she was going to faint. It was about 1:30 in the afternoon, and she probably hadn't had anything to eat or drink since dawn because of Ramadan. I tried to talk to her to see if she wanted some water, but she wouldn't look at me.

We are looking forward to a short vacation in Muscat Oman for the Eid holiday coming up at the end of Ramadan, (Eric and I get a week of school off). The scuba diving and snorkeling are suppose to be amazing.

We are finally in the apartment, the last delivery was Eric's bedroom set a few days ago. It was the first thing we bought and the last to be delivered. Ikea is a very popular place. I've already tried to burn the building down, and we broke in the new hand stitched living room carpet from Turkey with a glass of orange juice. The fire was not totally my fault; someone told me it was ok to put pizza on cardboard into a gas stove. Not a good idea. Then I threw the smoking cardboard in the trash and that started on fire. We found out then that there is no smoke or fire alarms in the building. I think that will be our next purchase. There is a gas alarm in the kitchen though.

Eric is recovering from his concussion and is working very hard to get ready for soccer tryouts next week. He has been reunited with his skateboard that was confiscated at security in London, 5 weeks and $100.00 later. No worse for the wear though.

The school has two confirmed cases of swine flu. There is also a very contagious case of sore throat and fever going around. One of my second grade classes only had four kids today, and another has only had 10 kids this whole week. The high school has also got the throat crud thing going around.

No comments:

Post a Comment